Re: Three guys and a roadster

To: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>,
Subject: Re: Three guys and a roadster
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:48:04 -0400
  -----Original Message-----
From: Brian Hollands <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
>Sounds very nice to have so many roadsters in such close proximity.  You
>guys out west are lucky - enjoy it
>Brian

  On that note; Saturday I buttoned up my 1600 after a way too long repair
on the head.  Everything was finally in place and ready.  But, nothing I
could do seemed to convince it to start.  I called my closest OROC member
and Ralf was here about 15 minutes later.  We went back through the fuel
system and then the ignition systems and everything seemed just fine.  But
other than a couple of back fires, nothing.
  I emailed a couple of good friends, Teddy Seidenfeld and Jim Sloan to see
if they could offer any suggestions.  Before I could log off my PC, Jim was
on the phone to let me know that he was headed out to dinner and would drive
up after.  To show how special this was, it was already 7:30 PM and Jim
lives over an hour away.  Jim has raced 1600's for over 18 years now and his
daughter races a matching 1600, both cars running in SCCA G Production, so
it didn't take Jim and his timing light long to discover that I was 90
degrees out with #3 plug firing when #1 cylinder was TDC!  I quick shuffle
with the plug wires and it started!  It took us just long enough to fix it
for my wife to make one of her delicious peach cobbler cakes so Jim and his
wife stayed for a visit.  They finally headed home about 10:30.
  So, how can you ever repay such kind favors?  Well, by 9:30 Sunday morning
I was down at Jim's house rebuilding the front suspension of one of the race
cars.  After a great lunch (I sometimes thing the only reason I crew for
Sloan Racing is for the food, especially the deviled eggs, but that is
another story all together!) we managed to get both cars refitted with short
blocks and transmissions.  Jim finished porting a new head so right after
the turkey came out of the oven for lunch, the head went in to bake the
ceramic coating.  I finally called it a day and got home just before 9.
  Ralf has always been available to lend a hand when I work on my 1600 and I
may never be able to repay him for his efforts.  But if you ever talk to
Ralf, I think he would say the same about me!  Ralf knows he always has a
garage here to work on his car .  And I know a nice quiet weekend lake where
I can get out for some fishing and fine conversation around the camp fire.
Great how things work out!
  I have owned other cars in the past, but I have never had the support and
friendship that this list, OROC and my local roadster owners have provided
over the last five years.

Paul
OROC
Sloan Racing