Re: couple last questions before its up and running

To: Taylor Collins <tyco1983@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: couple last questions before its up and running
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:35:17 -0800
Taylor Collins asks:
> ...My brakes obviously need rebuilding, so would it be cheaper
> buying some already functioning calipers or rebuilding them

Much cheaper to rebuild, but there's a good chance you can't.
The calipers tend to pit, and unless the pits are REALLY shallow,
you can't polish them out and you'll get leaking. You won't really
know 'til you pull them apart.

> ...is there any safe amount I can have removed from the deck
> of the block to up my compression a bit??

IMHO, the only safe amount is NONE. You can grind the block down,
but when something goes wrong you'll never be able to rework the
engine. The nominal power gains now, unless you're into all-out
racing, don't make up for intentionally limiting your rebuild options
down the road. IMHO.

If the block and/or head is milled, you can use shims on the cam
towers to restore timing geometry. The tensioner will take up a certain
amount of slack, but your valve timing will be off. If you don't shim
it right, I dare say you'll lose more power messing up the valve timing
than you'll gain by upping the compression ratio.

I think Nissan had a pretty good idea of what they could safely and
reasonably squeeze out of these engines (that da*n jackshaft
configuration notwithstanding). IMHO, YMMV, other disclaimers as
appropriate.

-- John