Re: Superchargers

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Superchargers
From: RWM <RWM@RWMann.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:29:18 -0500
An excellent start, Terry, but this design is effective only in the
subsonic flight regime.

For transonic and supersonic regime, we would need to upgrade to an
aero-spike (aero-cone, in this case) inlet.  A variable geometry
(shorter, movable) traffic cone (small side facing impact airstream) is
moved
coaxially with, ahead of and the original cone.  This decelerates the
trans/supersonic airstream and keeps the associated shockwave generated
by the aero-spike resident in the inlet of the original cone.  This
raises ram inlet temperature, pressure, efficiency and power.

The second traffic cone and associated dynamic controls needed move and
maintain proper cone geometry adds to cost, of course, but will
double the volume of cone orders, which ought to drive down unit costs,
and anyway since we are talking breakthrough research here, cost is
secondary.

While we're on the subject, we'll have to look into beyond-Z-rated
tires, a bit more tankage for JP-7 fuel (a.k.a. "perfume"), and
heat-resistant paint for leading edge of hood, valence and D-A-T-S-U-N
lettering...  I would also suggest that low windshield models might fare
better in the supersonic windtunnel.

- Bob Mann, subsonic '69 2000 Solex

--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.  > Airline Industry Analysis and Consulting
Port Washington, NY  11050 > tel 516-944-0900, fax 516-944-7280