Re: last desperate plea (electrical Q)

To: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: last desperate plea (electrical Q)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:48:46 -0800
Roman pleads:
> voltage regulator good 100%

95% chance: No, it ain't.  *

> ...by 2500rpm ammmeter goes up to 30+ amps and battery is
> getting 16 to 17 volts!

The regulator controls the voltage. Your voltage is too high and is
cooking your battery (and your lights).

*Okay, so I'm being cocky. Here's the possibilities to check:

Bad or misadjusted regulator. You can change the spring tension
on the voltage regulator relay, but you don't want to get into that.
COULD BE A BAD GROUND ON THE REGULATOR. Be sure you have
a wire between one of the regulator hold-down screws, and the FRAME
(not body). Be sure the ENGINE is securely grounded to the FRAME
as well. To test, run a wire from the regulator CASE directly to the
battery GROUND (-) post.

Full or partial short on the FIELD wiring between the regulator and
the alternator. The regulator controls this lead to control the alternator
output.

Short inside the alternator. Hmmm, sounding more and more likely.

Try this, Roman: Unplug the regulator! That should kill the alternator.
If you still get output, the problem is in the alternator or the wiring
harness. Otherwise, it's in the connection at the regulator, the stub
wiring harness to the regulator, or the regulator itself. Again, check the
ground, and also make sure the resistors on the bottom side of the
regulator are OK and not shorting out when you bolt the regulator to the
body!

> ...I took the battery and regulater from the 70 and put them in the 66
> ( which has no charging problems), THEY BOTH WORKED FINE!

Check the grounds! And let me know what happens happens when you
unplug the regulator!

> Thanks for all your input, I promise this is my last post on this
> particular subject.

It better not be - we want to hear the happy ending!

-- John