Re: 510 Ball Joints and mods (OT)

To: <HIGHKIX4@aol.com>, "Roadster List"
Subject: Re: 510 Ball Joints and mods (OT)
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 17:00:27 -0600
>For all:
>Hey, what does OT mean anyway......I am thinking off topic???
>In any event, I will be taking the trusty $800 510 wagon off the
>road for awhile.  The front ball joints are getting just a little
>too squirlly for safe driving.  But, since I need the joints, I
>might as well put in my recently bought used 280ZX struts,
>brakes, and Tokiko shocks, and autocross springs,
>(came out of another 510, so is already modified to fit) and
>one inch sway bar.....I am so hyped, got this stuff all used for
>$160.    Very good shape....once I see how the front sits
>I will lower the back and guess at what size swaybar
>will be needed back there.   If anyone has thoughts on
>what to do with the back (besides cheap pep boys
>pickup truck raising blocks, used on the 510 to lower)
>please let me know!!

Jim,

A couple of points. Unless you really need the extra fade resistance of
the vented rotors on the ZX struts, it may not be worth the effort as
there are some things that need to be done to use the ZX struts on a 510.
On the other hand, if these mods have already been done right, why not?
You may also run into some front to rear brake balance problems, too.
Those are most often handled on the 510 by using different diameter wheel
cylinders and swapping in the appropriate ZX master cylinder. The ZX
strut assemblies are somewhat heavier than the 510 units, too. I'll dig
around in my archives and forward what I find. For everything except all
out endurance type road racing, the experienced folks stick to the stock
system in top shape running the Porterfield R4S pads and maybe having
them put the same material on a set of rear shoes. The road racers use
the R4 pads

Having said all that, I plan on putting the ZXC struts (with coilovers)
on the '73 eventually, along with rear disks adapted from a 200sx, which
also add some  weight. Why? Sometimes the cool factor weighs in and I
want to do a little cruising and turn the heads of the some of the local
posers. Besides it's an interesting engineering exercise. It'll be the
last thing done to the car though, after everything else, if it gets
done. The '71 track car will be use the OEM struts, shortened with
coilovers, stock location springs in the back with aluminum Z drums. Much
lighter than the ZX front and rear disk setup. BTW, does anyone have a
source for really good used Z drums? New from Nissan is very pricey these
days.

>From what I remember the biggest problem lowering the rear of a wagon is
banging the body with the driveshaft and severe pinion angles. I'll dig
up what I've kept on that, too. I think there's more vertical rear axle
movement in a wagon than on a roadster, so u-joints can get in a bind.
It'll take me a few days. Let me see what I can find.

Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)