Re: 2000 Exhaust (was 2.5" flowmaster on U20?)

To: Kyle Hagemann <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Subject: Re: 2000 Exhaust (was 2.5" flowmaster on U20?)
From: Thomas the Swede <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:18:24 +0200
In general terms of designing an exhaust system the following
basic guidelines are used.

The largest muffler should be in the rear because it will make
the system less loud. If you only use one muffler it should be
in the rear. For a 150 hp/2 valve engine there are no gains
by using a 2.5 inch pipe size except noise. After the exhaust
manifold header, use a short piece of 2 inch pipe (4-6 inches)
and go up to 2.25 inch if you want to use the 2.25 inch pipes.
Use the largest straight through design muffler you can fit. A
Flowmaster is not a straight through design. If you are using
2 mufflers they should be different in size and/or shape.
Larger diameter pipes gives a deeper exhaust note. Some
like to use 2.5 inch pipes anyway but instead the mufflers
are reduced to 2 inches inside to cut down on the noise.
The end tip should not end before the rear bumper or it will
make more noise inside the car.

There basic guidelines are correct in 95% of all applications.

Thomas