Re: Washington State TAXED (OT)

To: "Dave Mehl" <waterback@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Washington State TAXED (OT)
From: "jerry gallagher" <jdg1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:54:05 -0700
Dave,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the licensing your 300ZX.  I just
went through transferring the title for my '90 Audi Coupe Quattro and
getting the license tabs for my Alfa GTV6 and Ford F150.  I was expecting to
get the usual treatment but actually it went very smoothly -- in and  out in
less than 10 minutes.  I was even able to use the emissions test from last
year when I bought the Alfa to get the tabs.  I didn't know the emissions
tests were good for 12 months -- the inmates at the testing facility were
feeling more human than usual.

The pretty, courteous young woman at the licensing agency (Mill Creek) had
me sign an affidavit specifying the amount I was spending on the Audi
repairs as being the reason why the purchase price was below the DMV's tax
base for the car.   I paid tax on the amount I paid for the car.  The young
gal also suggested buying the license tabs for the Audi even though they
were not due for another month as a way to save an additional $15.  The big
smile and "have a nice day" from the young woman as I left were just
pleasant extras.

The short of the message is that the workers at the licensing agencies have
some discretion as to the hoops they make you jump through.  Sure, the DMV
sets guidelines for the agencies to follow but from my own experiences it's
the people at the licensing agencies that cause most of the grief.  While I
was in similar situation as you in paying less than the DMV's tax base for
the car the person assisting me was very helpful and because of that our
outcomes were much different.  All in all not a totally unpleasant
experience -- kinda like showing up at the dentist's office expecting a root
canal and only needing a cleaning and having to listen to the standard
lecture about flossing more frequently.  Usually doesn't happen that way for
me -- was so pleased had to hit the rev limiter in 4 out of 5 gears in the
Alfa on the way home.

Jerry
'69 2000
'86 Alfa GTV6