Re: <OT> Chevy Fuel Injection

To: andycost@att.net
Subject: Re: <OT> Chevy Fuel Injection
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 05:09:41 -0500
> Many cars have an extra injector in the intake somewhere
> that acts somewhat like a choke.  If this extra injector
> goes bad you might get symptoms like hard starting and
> fuel leakage, although not much fuel could leak without
> the pump running.  I would suggest pouring a can of
> Chemtool in the tank and hoping that the injector cures
> itself.  Make sure you have pleanty of gas in there.  I
> poured a whole can in a motorcycle tank with three
> gallons of gas.  It sure did clean it well.  It even
> cleaned the electrodes off the sparkplugs.
> Andy
> >  A buddy of mine has a 1995 6 cylinder Chevy Blazer with 73,000 miles.
> > Lately he has been noticing a hard start problem first thing in the morning.
> > When he get's it cranked, white smoke plumes out.  A little rough running at
> > first, but once warmed up it runs fine.  He took it to the dealer this
> > morning and they told him that fuel is leaking into the cylinders due to a
> > bad central port injector (or something like this).  I gather that this
> > thing controls fuel flow to the fuel injectors.  The said that they have to
> > take the intake off and it would be $1,200 to fix.  They say that failure to
> > fix it will lead to further deterioration and carbon buildup, and possible
> > problems with the catalinic converter and passing emmision inspections.
> >
> > Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Are there any other repair options?
> > Thanks for your help.

Some cars have fuel acumulators that cn supply fuel even without the pump
running.  The Volvo 240's and 260's could reall surprise you when you pull
a fuel line off after the car has been sitting for a few days abd fuel
shoots all over te place!

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885