Caliper rebuild

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Caliper rebuild
From: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 13:52:08 -0700
Hello All,

I just popped the pistons from all four brake caliper assemblies to see if
they are worth saving, trouble is, I'm not sure how to judge weather they
are usable. There is surface rust on all four, but after scrubbing on it a
little with some Scotch Brite and WD-40, most of the rust cleans up pretty
easily. There was just some specs left. I didn't see any major pitting, but
the rust has caused some very very slight pitting. Can the calipers be used
with very slight pitting? If so, how well do I need to hit the surface, and
does anybody have any recommendations on what technique to use?

I am almost considering just replacing the units, but if they are good
enough to be used, that would save some cash down the road. Any advise
would be greatly appreciated.

Brian '68 1600