Re: greetings w/ ? from new subscriber (cable intructions ,long)

To: pkaccess@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: greetings w/ ? from new subscriber (cable intructions ,long)
From: Davesmbox@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:06:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/00 4:26:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
pkaccess@hotmail.com writes:

<<
 I own a couple of SRL-311's and enjoy them even though they don't run.
 I have a concern though because on my '69 car the hand throttle sleeve &
 cable are cut back behind the firewall well inside the car. So, it seems,
 even looking back in the archives of emails, no-one has discussed the
 replacement and restoration of the sleeve along w/ the cable on their car.
 I'd like to repair my original if possible or get a used one if avail. I
 understand that the vinyl sleeve over the cable has to be at least long
 enough to reach the bracket on the outside of the firewall to secure the
 cable. Is it possible to replace the black sleeve from the original metal
 knob housing which has been pressed over the sleeve by the factory?

Hi,
I posted this before. I have done 2 of these now and both have been very
successful.
You will need.
The knob shaft and shaft housing portion of your old cable. ( out of the car)
A length of bicycle shift cable. Get the highest quality with a large swedge
on one side and the small swedge on the other.
Bicycle brake housing.
A silver solder kit. (hardware store about $9 )
You need a Mapp torch (propane not hot enough) and a drill press.

Very carefully cut the old cable off of the the knob shaft right at the point
where you can't see the braids anymore. Match the new cable to a drill bit
then go up 1/64 larger. Here is where you need the drill press. Drill out the
remaining old cable right down the center of the shaft. You will find that
the drill will want to follow the correct path. Go in about 3/4 an inch. This
is for the new cable. Now drill 2 holes through the side into the cable hole.
This is to pour the solder in.
Now change bits to one the size of the new black cable housing. Cut off your
old housing from the metal housing that you pulled off your dash. Drill out
to accept the new housing.
Measure for your new cable and housing.
Cut the cable using the large swedge side. Cut the housing ( about 2 1/2"
shorter)
Use the carpenters rule"measure twice,
cut once."

Feed the cable through the housing, feed the cable and housing into the knob
shaft holder. Pull through as the cable is longer you will be able to work
outside the knob shaft holder. Feed the cable into the drilled out shaft.
Silver solder though the side. Protect the plastic housing with a wet rag.
file smooth.
Put a dab of epoxy to hold the new housing in the knob holder.

The truth is it took me longer to type this than it does to do this. Its an
easy repair.

DAVE M