Re: Painting Progress

To: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>,
Subject: Re: Painting Progress
From: Marc Tyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:12:25 -0500
nruff wrote

>Hey all
>
>Sorry, no photo updates but I hope to get some pics taken this w/end.
>
>Progress continues on the 67 U20.  With my lack of free time, this has taken
>me FOREVER but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  All
>but a door and one fender has been stripped, straighten, and acid etched.
>One of the bigger unexpected assets to this job was a mig welder.  I thought
>I would only need one to close several emblem trim holes.  I really
>hesitated to purchase one but rationalized it with all the other project
>that will come along in a lifetime.  After working around the car, I have
>used it more times than I can count.  As with everything else, it has been a
>learning experience.
>
>Several of the panels have been coated with 3-4 coats of high build Nason
>(Dupont) two part primer.  Much of it will be sanded off as I finish the
>body prep.  The high build primer seems to be VERY forgiving.  Alot of the
>time I have spent sanding and glazing sanding scratches could have been
>spent elsewhere if I had known how well it covers these.  The car is now a
>combination of mustard yellow and lavender so its not too hard to find
>motivation to finish the job!
>
>Again, I'll try to get more pics posted soon!
>Nathan

Can you fill us in on what welder you purchaced and what the cost was?  I
could be in the market for one soon, and I'm sure others would be
interested.  Glad to hear about the positive priming experience, will be
on the lookout for pictures.

-Marc t.

Marc Tyler
TDROC
1970 1600 #SPL311-31016
1965 L-320 #L320 013642 (the misspent ute)
http://datsun_marc.tripod.com/cgi-bin/Datsun_homepage.html
Sisterdale TX