RE: cracked exhausted manifold

To: "'Hoon Kim'" <hoon@pixar.com>
Subject: RE: cracked exhausted manifold
From: "Laury, Victor" <LauryV@MTA.NET>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:05:45 -0700
Hoon,

I hope your not getting frustrated, If so, hang in there. Your getting the
same problems all of us have had or will have. The manifold is pressed sheet
and that's pretty rare. most are cast iron, but Datsun wanted something
lighter. These work good, for a while. About 60,000 +/- seem to be their
service life. Some have welded these with some success. but the nature of
the sheet material does not lend itself to welding and the thermal range it
sees usually ends up cracking at the weld.

I suggest putting up with it until it's time to do something on that side to
warrant removing the manifold (maybe a starter change?) Then replacing it
with a good set of headers (nice thermal coated ones like our vendors are
selling. Otherwise, I sure that there is lots of 1600 manifolds floating
about of these 9 out of 10 will already be cracked.

Victor
70 SRL 31113136
Los Angeles
SoCalROC http://www.ameri-eagle.com/datsun/