Re: Fog lights

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fog lights
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:43:39 PST8PDT
Yikes. It was written:
> hook up the + feed for your relay to the fused side of your
> headlight fuse... your fog lights will only work when the headlights are
> on...

Ummm, and that extra 10 amp foglamp draw will slowly sizzle your
switch - and probably pretty quickly cook your fuse box.

If you really want to make sure you don't forget the lights, I'd
suggest TWO relays in series, one that gets its power from the ignition
switch, the second from the foglamp switch (Assuming you're using
the switch built into the headlamp switch, can you turn off the
headlights without turning off the fog lamps? Not having fog lamps,
I've never tried).

Wanna be clever? With a little rewiring, feed the headlights off a
'ignition on' relay (relay coil gets power from ign switch and contacts
switch battery power going to headlight switch). Using a SECOND set
of relay contacts, run a fused battery lead thru the contacts to run
'auxiliary' vehicle loads, like fog lamps (via its own control relay),
massive stereo, phaser rifle, 1kW anti-radar jamming transmitter, etc...

-- John