Re: Datsun 510

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Datsun 510
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:11:23 -0700
I suspect one of the reasons SCC still does 510 articles occasionaly is because
their Engineering
Editor, Dave Coleman, is a true Datsun nut. He joined Northwest Datsun
Enthusiasts years ago while
he was still in high school here in Seattle. He used to have a roadster with an
L18 in it. He and
his buddy Jeff Payne were co-editors of our newsletter, where it became obvious
that he had some
major writing talent.

While he was working on an ME degree at Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, CA,
he entered and won a
contest in which the prize was a three-week tour of Nissan's facilities in
Japan. There were
actually about 30 winners included in the tour. One of the people he met on the
tour was the
designer of the Sentra SE-R, whose first car was a 510 (why am I not
surprised?). He also came back
with a picture of the prototype Bluebird (510), autographed by the designer.

He picked up a part-time job at RS Akimoto (Japanese car tuner-type company)
while he was still in
school, then went full-time after he graduated as chief development engineer.
That put him in
contact with the people at SCC and now he has the dream job - travel all over
the world driving fast
cars, build project cars with someone else's money and get paid for it. In the
same issue that has
the 510 article (and you can probably see Kelvin's car at Shasta), there is one
about their SE-R
project car eating up BMW M3's at Buttonwillow. That's Dave behind the wheel in
the lead picture,
and I suspect he did a lot of the driving, too.

Plus he's always been a helluva good guy. It's nice when the good guys win.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org