Re: Speedo swap degree of difficulty?

To: Ken Pearce <kpearce@engr.ukans.edu>
Subject: Re: Speedo swap degree of difficulty?
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:14:53 -1000
Hi Ken:

It has been several years, and of course, "time heals all wounds", but I
would give it a "c".

Mine was same problem, i.e. working speedo, non-working ohdo.  Mine is a
1600, but I suspect that job is the same.

I had a new unit to replace it with, so the following wasn't a consideration
for me.  Seems I saw something on the list about someone successfully
repairing an odometer, and gave me the impression it wasn't a particularly
difficult matter.  So, if you're replacing with an "unknown quantity", you
might want to looking into repairing the ohdo on the one you have.

Later on the list, someone else mentioned removing the driver's seat to
facilitate working under the dash.  Duh!!  What a great idea, but it hadn't
occurred to me even though I had removed the seat at least 3 times in
replacing upholstery--easy job.  Next time I will  definitely remove the seat
for any significant  need to work under the dash.

The other thing that made the job more difficult for me is I didn't realize
that there is a panel, below the dash (above your left knee) that's
removable.  Later discovered that when I had to overhaul my headlight switch.

Those two matters taken into account, perhaps it could be reduced to a "b"
category.

Good luck!

Dave
'68 1600