Re: U20 copper head gaskets

To: Kyle Hagemann <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Subject: Re: U20 copper head gaskets
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:18:08 -0400

Kyle Hagemann wrote:

> Hi all-

> Okay, now I'm confused.  I saw a few list members report that
> the double-thick copper head gaskets are a "good thing".
>
> Then I saw Marc Sayer (AIR) say that they are a "bad thing".
>
> The www.headgasket.com website mentions "annealing" and "stop
> leak" as part of a typical installation.  Annealing being
> cookin' it with a torch, the stop leak being that radiator
> clogging crud.  Neither of those words make me particularly
> confident.

Me neither, that is why I haven't tried one.  HG's aren't that much
fun, so doing another just for sport just doesn't
interest me.

Another engine builder I know said they are great on
porsche engines, but there are too many cooling passages to leak
on the roadster engines.  He didn't recommend it either.

> My '69 is just a plain-jane runabout, and I was hoping to lower
> the compression a tick and tighten up the timing chain (which
> doesn't really need much, a bit of shimming would be fine).

a) If you feel lucky, give it a try and let us know.
b) If you don't, use a  Nissan gasket, burn premium and back off the timing.

If it were a turbo application I might be inclined to try a).  For
a grocery getter, I like b).   If you drive it every day, can't afford
premium, cut the piston tops and go with b., then you are done.

> So help me out here Roadsterites - what should I do?  Just
> use a stock gasket for reliability, deal with the higher CR,
> and shim the tensioner?  Or get a double thick copper one and
> see how it goes?
> A hotter cam would make the CR more livable,
> right?

A hotter cam will lose you lower end power and make the
idle rougher.  It isn't going to make the engine any more
pleasant on the street.

Jim