Re: Timing

To: Rob Johnson <datsun316@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Timing
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:52:47 -0500
Rob,

Stick with the 16BTDC at idle.

Confirm you do not have more than 31 BTDC at 4,000 rpm
with vacuum disconnected.

TWO ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Tom - How does 16 + 7.5 = 31?

      Uh good point. 16 degrees is at the CRANKSHAFT.
      The distributor rotates only ONCE for every two
      crankshaft rotations, so the distributor advance
      cam is in "distributor degrees, so you have to
      double it to change is to crankshaft degrees"
      So   16 + (7.5 * 2+  =  16 + 15 = 31

Tom - If I set my "smog distributor" with a 17.5 cam to
      a maximum of 30 degrees at 4,000.... doesn't that
      mean my idle setting would be around 5 degrees
      ATDC (AFTER TOP DEAD CENTER) and not at TDC?

      Correct! This will also cause the engine to run
      much hotter in stop and go traffic... I'd recommend
      changing to the "early" cam, weights, and springs.

      Problem with setting it to TDC, and having worn slots
      is the distributor may actually advance a total of 40
      degrees. Running that much advance while charging up
      hills may do some damage.

It is NOT UNCOMMON to find all sorts of problems in the
older distributors. Hence putting a dial back light to
good use.

Cheers,

Tom