A couple of questions -- Turning the engine by hand and distribut

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: A couple of questions -- Turning the engine by hand and distribut
From: Mark_Kalmus@dell.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:30:48 -0500
Good morning all,

I am nearing the point of starting up my two-liter after subjecting it to a
long, long period of suspended animation.  I am wanting to turn the engine
manually to put in a new set of points but can't seem to get at the main
pulley bolt using my 12-inch crescent wrench (even after pulling the fan and
shroud).  I tried using a 1" socket, but the bolt is larger.  Anyone know
what size the bolt is?  Is there a trick to getting a grip on it with a
wrench?

Second, I cleaned the topside distributor contacts and only when I went to
reattach the plug wires did I realize that I have no idea which one goes to
the No. 1 cylinder.  Looking at the engine from the passenger side, the
distributor cap has contacts at the 8:00, 10:00, 2:00, and 4:00 positions.
Which is No. 1?  Does the distributor turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Thanks,

Mark Kalmus
Austin TX
1970 2L