Re: Wisdom needed: 5th gear neutral

To: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wisdom needed: 5th gear neutral
From: "Kyle W. Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:56:04 -0700
Hi John;

The only thing I'd be afraid of is having the gear and/or
shaft wear from the slippage of the gear on the shaft.

But if you're not in fifth gear, its countergears are free-
wheeling, so there shouldn't be any force on the slipped
gear.

If you fix it, or get it fixed, you'll probably wind up with
a splined replacement gear?  So the fifth gear assembly will
be replaced, wouldn't it?  If the gear is fixed by welding instead, there
might be a risk of damaging the shaft beyond
repair, but I really doubt that.

My 2c-
Kyle