<OT>Spokane Autocross

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: <OT>Spokane Autocross
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 19:23:53 -0700
List,
I spent the day in Spokane, Washington at the autocross races put
on by Auto Sports Northwest a local club. I had a terrific time
observing the event. I was invited to come along by the owner of a
local auto repair and soon to be  performance shop here in town called
GP Motorsports. I really went to watch there newly acquired GT4
Mini Cooper and there L28 powered 510 , but after late night
thrashing they both where not ready to run.

The course was laid out in a parking lot at Eastern Washington
University
and though it was a small area a great course was set up. I have never
autocrossed myself or my car , but have taken the Jim Hall cart racing
school and
did alot of drag racing when I was younger (much younger). I thought
I knew how to drive I was proven wrong by watching the good drivers
go through the course. It was a tight winding course and I was amazed
at how fast they where going around the cones. If you haven't been to
an autocross event I highly recommend it to everyone. If the you
are not participating you can always get a ride in another car.
A whole different experience if you are use to driving your own car,
being a passenger at speed can sure make you think.

I caught a ride with a guy around twenty or so. I can't tell how old
they are
anymore as I am getting older and everyone looks like kids to me
anymore.
It was his first time out to an autocross and I was shocked at how well
he drove
the course he didn't miss a gate or hit a cone. His time was only a few
seconds
behind some of the modified cars. He was driving a new Ford TSI 4 a 130
HP car. He also told me he didn't want a honda or an Acura ,because he
wanted
to be different.

I wish every person should go through an approved high performance
driving course
before they got there drivers license it sure would improve the safety
of our roads.

Sorry no Roadsters this time, last time I went over there where three of
them
running with a bunch of Z's and 510's.

Mike
NOWROC