Re: SU-Solex conversion questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU-Solex conversion questions
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:15:23 -0800

Daniel Neuman wrote:

>         1.  There does not appear to be a provision for the return fuel line
> on my 69. Was this jsut a smog engine only thing??

I don't think Solexes used the return line. Look at
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/11A-2.gif. My car is a '67, so I'm not
speaking from experience here.

There should be. Look at http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/9A-1.gif

>         3. Whats the deal with the chokes on this car?? I have the dual
> choke cabel from the su's but it appears that the solex's only use one??

The Solexes had one straight cable that hooked up to both "starter circuits".
You can probably fake something.

>         Took me 20 minutes to get the trans fill plug unscrewed... Somebody
> had it so tight that I had to use vice grips and a 3 foot breaker bar to
> loosen it..It was so tight it squeled when I loosened it... If i ever find
> the 5 min oil change pump jockey with the air ratchet that did that....

Here's a tip on the tranny plugs. Wrap some teflon plumber's tape around the
threads before you reinstall the plug (or use the liquid teflon). Electrolysis
between the steel plugs and the aluminum case can be a major pain, as you found
out. One time I had the car 20 miles from home, up on a rental hoist. I had
already drained the tranny and then couldn't get the fill plug out! DOH! Another
guy had a big breaker bar and we got it loose, but I was starting to get
worried.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org