long one day drive

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.Team.Net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: long one day drive
From: "jdg1" <jdg1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:26:54 -0700
Well I'm a bit confused.  I've been reading the multiple posts on engine
transplants and confess I do not understand the need.

On Tuesday, I drove my basically stock '69 2000 to Spokane and back to
Redmond.  This trip, with the necessary around town obligatory family
visits, totaled over 600 miles.  I averaged between 80 - 85 on I-90 and got
about 33 mpg.  There was never a time on this drive where I felt I needed
more power than the U-20 provided.  There were times when I saw triple digit
speeds when passing other cars.

One aspect I really enjoyed is the sound of the U-20 (stock exhaust) in song
between 3,000 - 4,000 -- they sound great!  Many miles without a radio (also
stock -- poor reception).

The trip to Spokane was just a spur of the minute trip with no preparation
of the car other than checking the oil and tire pressure and filling the gas
tank.  I rebuilt this car 7 years ago and have driven it only about 7,000
miles since the rebuild.  It was great to take this trip in a 30 year old
car.

The only "problems" encountered on the trip were:

1.) the windshield wipers/washer had difficulty removing the bugs from the
windshield
2.) Dim headlights -- I have Cibie z-beams and they were not as bright as
they should have been.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

BTW just before Shasta I posted a message about riding from Seattle to
Portland -- I made it in 14 hours.  What is like riding 196 miles in one
day?  Imagine straddling a saw horse for 14 hours.

Jerry