Re: Tranny question

To: kathy troxel <ktroxel@BENSON.MCKENNA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Tranny question
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:27:23 PST8PDT
Kathy writes:
> ...Have a lead on a '69 4-speed transmission for $250...
> Third gear is gone in the tranny in the car now.  Does anyone
> have any advice on replacement vs. rebuilding?

I've heard of 5 speeds in that general price range. Of course, you
need to factor in getting the mounts and driveline, etc. Location counts,
too. If the 4 speed is down the street, it sure beats a 5 speed on the
other side of the country.

How solid is this tranny? If you don't know its history, you're going to
want to pop it apart and replace the countershaft and bearings. And
if you're going to dig into it anyway, you may just want to find out
how bad the existing tranny is, and if not too far gone have it
rebuilt. Then you know what you've got.

Side note: Depending on year, the starter (and clutch slave?) bolts
are different. Before you force that steel bolt into the aluminum
threads, make sure you're using matching bolts!

-- John