Re: batteries (and their cables)

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: batteries (and their cables)
From: "Richard B. Chianese" <Richard.B.Chianese@swpc.siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:46:17 -0400
Frank and Don,

There may be many reasons to use fine copper stranded cable, but it is
not for DC current carrying capability.  When the current is DC, the
only thing that is important is the conductivity of the copper and the
total cross sectional area of conductor.  AC current, on the other hand,
has what is called a "skin effect."  AC currents tend to travel along
the surface of the conductors, so by having lots of strands, you get
lots of surface.

I work for a company that builds large electric generators and we use
solid copper straps to carry the DC current that creates the magnetic
fields.  The conductors that are used in the AC part of the generator
are much smaller cross sections (but not strands by any stretch of the
imagination).

Fine stranded welding wire is often made from OFHC (oxygen free high
conductivity) copper and can be easily routed through the frame without
cracking or breaking any of the strands.  The flexing in the body and
frame that takes place as you slide through the tight turns is less
likely to fatigue through the fine cable strands as compared to a solid
conductor or one with just a few strands.  Always leave a little slack
in the cable so that you don't stretch or bend the copper but keep the
cable well supported.  Watch out for places where the cable can cut,
wear or scrape through the insulation.

Rick Chianese
Orlando, FL - 90F and rising.

Miller, Don