Re[2]: Please do not sacrifice an original car!

To: pkort@cis.picker.com
Subject: Re[2]: Please do not sacrifice an original car!
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:25:01 -0700
Here's my 2 cents. I'm sticking a U20 in my '66 roadster. I bought my '66
last November because it had an original matching 1600 engine, "freshly"
rebuilt. The PO knew that I would keep the car in it's stock condition.

However, I quickly ran into overheating problems and traced the cause to a
crack in the cylinder block. Someone in their zeal to keep the original
engine had attempted to weld the crack, and covered it over with some bondo
and engine paint. I don't know if the PO knew about this. That 1600 engine
is useless, with water seeping out the side of the block (and coming out
the exhaust). I would have been less upset to simply find a crack, but
finding bondo over a weld got me steamed.

On top of that, I found a number of non-stock changes to the car. I've learned
my lesson about checking out a car more carefully the next time. I doubt that
very many of the roadsters out there are stock. So I wouldn't call improving the
functionality of the roadster "destroying" it. It would have been cheaper for me
to go with a new non-Datsun engine than the U20 rebuild (about $2500). Trying to
keep the Datsun roadster "look and feel" is costly. I'm giving up on going 100
per cent stock. If someone wants to do that, fine. But let's ease up on those
roadster owners with creative urges.

Fred - So.SF