Re: Hello all, may I ask for some help?

To: jcooney@realclear.net
Subject: Re: Hello all, may I ask for some help?
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 99 13:03:39 CDT

>From: John Cooney <jcooney@realclear.net>
>   I currently own a 1977 Datsun 280Z. I refer to it as
>the 280ZTR, I have installed a 83 turbo motor into it, thus 280Z Turbo
>Race. You can view the car at www.realclear.net/~jcooney. But this is not
>why I am here. :)

Whew! Starting to wonder... <grin>

>I am going to pick up a 67.5 Roadster 1600 later this
>week. The car has been shaved and has been sitting for at least 6 months. I
>know to go in and replace all the fluids and check the idle box. But I know
>little about roadsters overall.

OK... roadster stuff!

First, the 240Z carbs are too big (46mm) for the 1600 engine, which
normally has the 38mm Hitachi "SU's" fitted on it.  Also the throttle
rotates the "opposite" way than the Z, so you would have to do a lot
of custom linkage to get everything to work.  Sell off the Z carbs,
and use the money to buy the parts for the throttles.

Carbs are pretty simple to work on.

Just get the car running first (you may need fresh gas, and a general
tune up and cleaning of everything).

The original engine (R16) is a very reliable engine with proper
maintance, and a good clean radiator for Texas.

There is a URL with lots of good tech tips on it to get you on
your way. Hopefully someone will post the www here.

Cheers,

Tom Walter    '67 2000
Austin, TX    '68 2000

P.S. We have a really good club of roadster owners right here
in Texas, so you're not alone!