Thunder @ Thunderhill

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Thunder @ Thunderhill
From: Dennis Currington <dc311@mail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:41:49 -0700
Gordon Glasgow wrote:

> What's this? What happened? C'mon, Fred, don't tease us like that - what's the
> story?
> Fred Katz wrote:
> > (Dennis, thank's for the last-minute tips while at Shasta, regarding the
> > swap. You're one heck of a tough guy, glad you made it off that racetrack
> > in one piece.)

Well, by now I figured Calspeed would have done a write up with pictures :-) of
my
Thunderhill experience.  Since Fred has alluded to it, here is what happened.

I was in my third 25 min. track session and was having a nice "contest" with Les
in his RHD Fairlady.  Came into Turn 10,(an uphill then dropping off camber to
the
right), with a BMW M3 right on my bumper.  All of a sudden that song make famous
by Kenny Rogers (You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me Loose Wheel) just had to do
that :-), came to mind.  The left rear wheel came off sending the back end of my
2000GT (see Ken's pics :-)
http://www.engr.ukans.edu/~kpearce/shasta99a/980102-039.jpg  about 4 feet in the
air.  The car spun around and headed for the shoulder and bounced along in the
dirt for a while and came to rest on its wheels (all 3 of them) facing the
traffic.  Luckily, the point seat belts held fine and no injuries other than a
250
heart rate.  Les was able to get stopped in time and come and assist.

It appears the aluminum on the Watanabe wheel (no steel inserts) gave way and
the
nuts backed off and it sheared the comp studs right off.  Bent up the lower
rocker
area and the back of the rear fender and even the frame where the rear shackle
attaches.  Could have been worse.

Reading Bill Wessel's story about his weekend, mine seem mild. Repair time
again.
Good thing I work where I do :-).

Dennis

--