Re: followup: overheating - 1600

To: eric gilbert <egmalibu@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: followup: overheating - 1600
From: P or T <p-pie@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:48:04 -0400
Eric,

I switched to a 240Z 180 degree thermostat in my 2 liter Solex early in
it's life with me, as an attempt to hold
off the dreaded overheating/warped head scenario;  There were times,
before switching, that things got hot
enough that I would turn on the heat  and set the blower to max just to
bring the gauge down....not an
enjoyable thing to do in an already hot car!  Switching did seem to have
a positive effect, I assume because the
earlier opening started the flow to the rad sooner, and so reduced the
chances of building up more thermal
inertia than the cooling system could counter.

If running hot is a problem, I also suggest some experimentation with
advancing the spark timing - set a bit
further (~3-4 degrees) than factory setting, the engine should tend to
run cooler, and you'll likely gain some
power and torque to boot.

Pete Long
'68 2L Solex