Bolts

To: ROADSTER <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bolts
From: Philip Erickson <philip.erickson@Agouron.COM>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 08:53:41 -0700
Hi all,
I agree with Mark, there is a lot more to the science of fasteners.
I am a proponent of factory hardware if available.
I have observed that in "automotive use" when bolts have high shear
loads, you will find very specialized bolts with machined shanks that
fit tightly into both parts with the threads recessed or nuts on the
out-side.
If you are replacing bolts in your suspension, PLEASE make sure the fit
is correct and you use quality bolts with minimum threaded portion.
Mine might be the car in front of you. <grin>  I suggested the use of
SAE grade 8 or "metric" 10.9 for suspension bolts partly because this
will require getting the correct length (shank and thread), not an all
threaded general purpose bolt.
Thanks to everyone for their informed commits.
Phil
--
Philip Erickson                                  Phone:  (619) 622-7963
69 SRL