Re: it doesn't look right

To: "Thomas Walter" <walter@omni.sps.mot.com>,
Subject: Re: it doesn't look right
From: "Mike Kerr" <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:57:00 -0700
The shims are there to prevent "overloading" the bearing.
Most likely were removed from years ago, or that axle just
happened to have a dead on clearance (rare, but not impossible).

tom the shims where left over from the truck/sedan axles where they had
tapered roller bearings instead of ball bearing that the roadster has. The
tapered rollers have a preload to them and that is what the shims where for.
on the roadster it didn't need the load careering of the tapered rollers, so
they used ball bearings instead , a simpler and  cheaper way to go. the
shims do act as a kind of gasket .

Mike Kerr
Roadster Restoration
3730 Todrob LN.