Re: Brake caliper question...

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake caliper question...
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:08:36 -0700
Ken,
        Any idea which wheel? (like, it pulls left or right, or the parking
brake gets loose,(the rears) or one hub heats way up.  If it's one side
or the other it's probably a bad hose.
        If it's one braking CIRCUIT, or both, however, you might check the
master cylinder play.  There's supposed to be just a little to insure
that the MC returns to the top of its stroke.  If it doesn't do this, or
SOMETIMES doesn't (this is often caused by an eccentrically worn pin
tying the MC to the pedal) then the fluid won't be able to flow back
into the MC.  It only causes a problem when you brake relatively hard
and heat the brakes siginficantly.  This creates a bit of back pressure
that holds the MC cup against the cylinder wall, and pressurizes your
brakes 'on'.  It heats the wheel cylinders, causing further expansion,
and further braking pressure.
        Long shot, but possible...
Toby