starter bolts

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: starter bolts
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:37:18 -0600
I use a long extension and a universal joint to break the bolt loose on top
(without disturbing the carbs) and then twist the bolt out with my fingers.
 I used to work on British cars a lot, and I now have 12 inch long fingers
that are 7/16th inches thick and can apply about 3000 foot-pounds of
torque.  My right hand is SAE and my left hand is Whitworth, but either
will turn Metric bolts.  It's a good idea to wire-brush the bolt before
twisting it back in, and clean the bolt hole with a tap.  I also like to
take the top bolt out first and put it in last to make the leverage easier
when holding up the starter.

Leisure Suit Terry