Re: 5th gear

To: "ROADSTER" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5th gear
From: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:58:51 -0600
>Hi
>Anyone ever research putting a 0.75 5th gear set into a roadster trans
>or using the late 280z trans.
>Philip Erickson
>68 2000

I doubt you could put a late (Z) gear set in an early (roadster) trans
case. Completely different transmissions (I think). Actually, I'm pretty
sure there are early (seperate bellhousing and case) Z and late (one
piece) boxes, too.

I do remember that to put a roadster 5-speed in either a Z or a 510, you
had to use the Z (4-speed) bellhousing. If you could find a .75/5th
two-piece trans, then you should be able to use the roaster bellhousing,
however they (.75/5th gear boxes) may all have been one piece/late units.
Not sure what you'd need to do to connect backup lights (easy) and speedo
cable (maybe not so easy, but certainly doable).

HTH, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@cyberramp.net
The ACL Group