Re: Correct time.

To: "Mark G. van der Hoek" <captainhoek@koan.com>,
Subject: Re: Correct time.
From: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:53:59 -0600
>Okay, folks, to keep Scott the Watchmaker happy, here's a
>site where you can not only get the correct time, you can
>download two utilities, NISTIME and Winacts, which will dial
>up an official clock and sync your computer's clock to GMT!
>(Corrected for your local time zone, of course.)
>
>http://www.bldrdoc.gov/timefreq/javaclck.htm
>
>My preference is for NISTTIME, because it uses your Internet
>connection to sync the time.  This may result in an error of
>a second or two due to network delays.  Scott will likely
>prefer Winacts, which dials the atomic clock in Colorado to
>give you the correct time.  It will give you to-the-second
>accuracy and a long distance bill to go with it! ( Unless
>you live in Colorado. of course.)
>
>Both utilities allow you to set them to sync your system on
>command or at specified intervals.
>

>Now if timing a Roadster engine were so easy!
>
>Mark van der Hoek
>Hemet California

Since not all of us live in an IBM-compatible world (in other words, if
you're using a Mac), you can use Autoclock, a freeware (I think) utility
that will dial a time server, selected by the user. It also can calculate
the mean deviation of your CPU clock (typically several seconds/week) and
automatically compensate for that, too.

Of course if you're running OS 8.5/8.5.1, there's a new addition to the
date and time control panel for server access/clock adjustment.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@cyberramp.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)