Re: dist. modern or original

To: Paul Strassmaier <PaulS@dowa.com>
Subject: Re: dist. modern or original
From: Dennis Currington <dc311@mail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 21:43:29 -0800
Paul Strassmaier wrote:

> Be selective on electronic ignitions.  If you go with the hotter coil, and
> remove the ballast resistor (which I was going to do), you'll want to go
> with a hotter coil.  The one that datsun.com sells is really goofy looking.
> I want a more stock look.
>
> I bought the petronix unit and kept the ballast resistor and the stock coil.
> Does anyone out there know if you can run that unit without the resistor?
> Any way to get a hotter coil that fits in the stock bracket?
>
> Paul Strassmaier
> 67 2000

Pertronix recommends that if your car had a resistor, you should continue to run
it with the Pertronix.  They also do not recommend a hotter coil, unless it is
the new Flame Thrower Coil.  I think this is probably an attempt to sell us
something else, unless there is something in their coil I don't know about.  It
is a nice chromey unit, however.  I ran my Pertronix with an Accel yellow coil
and did not notice any problems (at least any caused by the coil :-)

Dennis Currington
'66 2000 Solex etc, etc
San Diego