Re: Bike Rack

To: rday@cyberramp.net
Subject: Re: Bike Rack
From: tomph@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:44:04 -0600 (CST)
Hi All,

>>Just wanted to ask if anyone has sucessfully found a bike rack that can be
>>used on a Roadster without damaging anything. (eg. paint, body, etc)
<snip>
>How about a receiver type trailer hitch? Frame mounted, of course. You'd
>probably have to have one custom made. Probably $100/150. There are a
>number of bike racks designed to go into a hitch in place of the ball
>carrier, $80/100.

I'm a gear head and enjoy my mountain bike a lot. I bought the receiver type
Export bike rack from Performance to use on my Geo prism. I then had a
section of square tube welded to my '68 2L frame. Cost - $60 materials and
labor. Inserted the receiver hitch and used it for several months before it
started to tear the frame. Seems the box frame is really too thin. Since
then Rob at Classic Datsun welded a really nice piece of angle iron to the
frame to spread the load and welded the square tube to it. Have not had a
chance to try it yet (just too cold) but we put in a bar while the car was
on the lift and I hung from it. Didn't see the frame distort at all. Seems
pretty solid. Wish it would get warmer so I could try it out and go riding
again. Those of you out west can reserve your top down warm weather
comments. I don't think us east coasters can take anymore of them.
Brrrrrr!!!

Tom P
Hicksville NY
68 2L #2771