Elan front spindle grease seal

To: lotuselan <lotuselan@yahoogroups.com>, chapman-era@autox.team.net,
Subject: Elan front spindle grease seal
From: "Erik Berg" <ozone.breath@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:40:01 -0800
Howdy all.
I'm installing a pair of billet alloy front hubs that I got from Dave Bean
Engineering, in my '65
S2. (This is the former Fred Miranda car). As part of the wheel bearing R/R,
I was going to
use new grease seals.

The seals that came with the wheel bearing kits, are similar to the original
type seals.  They
have a stamped steel shell, with felt inserts that you are supposed to
saturate with grease.  The shells are thinner material than the original
ones, and a little bigger OD. Otherwise, they
are quite similar.

I am having a heck of a time installing these new grease seals in the hubs.
The seals seem to
have too large of an OD, and don't press easily into their recess at the
back of the hub. The
shells are fragile because their section is thinner, and they deform easily
(ask me how I know
that...) Poking around the web this evening, I found a couple other
instances of people having a
similar problem.  The bearings and races fit the hubs perfectly, but the
seals just don't seem to
work right...

What am I doing wrong?  Is there a trick to installing these seals?

I found mention of "Nylos" grease seals, at the dimebank Spitfire/GT6 web
site.  Has anyone
used these?  Does anyone have a way to get a part number for Nylos seals to
fit the spindle
and hub?

Thanks in advance,
Erik Berg