Re: Super Seven test drive

To: dlou <dlou@sonic.net>, chapman-era@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Super Seven test drive
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:02:24 -0700
At 07:32 AM 6/8/2004 -0700, dlou wrote:
>Driving with
>just the side curtains is really annoying.  I can't see a thing out the
>"windows" and I'm too short to see over them.

The wind beats you up in a Seven as much as the suspension.
It's a fun car, not a comfortable car.

>  Pulling away, the engine
>is quite smooth even though it hadn't been run in 18hrs and the choke is
>out.  One thing I noticed as I was adjusting to the short stiff clutch
>take-up on the 1-2 upshift is that there seems to be a click or thunk
>or something I can't quite place.  I think it might be a loose tranny
>or engine mount.

Or suspension bushings, but with the kind of power that's been in
that car, anything could be broken.

>Oddly, the speedo works but the tach doesn't.  Kind of backwards if
>you ask me.  Speaking of which, isn't the speedo supposed to be
>over in front of the passenger?  Or is that only on the S2?
>On this car, both were behind the wheel.

This positioning would be typical of a Caterham

>Whew, that was long winded.  To sum up: runs well except for
>driveline click/thunk,

I'd want to know why.....

>  clamshell fenders that shake,

There's an additional brace that's probably missing

>tires a bit hard,
>non-functioning tach

Smith tach?  Don't always work well with original equipment,
extra difficulty with non standard ignition systems.

>and can't see out the side curtains.

I never use 'em

>Should I be overly concerned about the thunk?

Yes.  It's obviously fixable, but what's it gonna take?

Steve Shipley

///
///  chapman-era@autox.team.net mailing list
///