New Mustangs

To: "chapman-era@autox.team.net" <chapman-era@autox.team.net>,
Subject: New Mustangs
From: rodbean@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 13:14:37 -0700
Not exactly Lotuses (far from it) but you might be interested in this
anyway.

I had a chance to drive a fleet of new Mustang GTs at Willow Springs as
they were flogged by 400 California disc jockeys over two days last
week.  I was one of 30 instructors who weren't there to instruct as much
as to give the participants some good, hot laps before they drove.

I was pleasantly surprised by the disc jockeys' demeanor as well as the
Mustangs.  The cars have stiffer chassis, 260 hp, much improved brakes
and Goodyear Eagle ZR45 tires.  Most were 5-speeds but some were
automatics.  There was even a 5-speed V6.

The cars were surprisingly reliable and forgiving (saved a couple of
disc jockeys) and a lot of fun.  Pony cars wouldn't be my first choice
but it was really hard to fault these.  The tires were also terrific.
Linear feedback, great turn-in and, looking at them, you could hardly
tell we had been throwing them around for two days at the end.

There was a Mustang Cobra there with the twin cam engine and IRS but it
didn't see the track.. darn.  27k USD for that one.

Rod