Re: Wheel Studs

To: <kmccormick@cgsinc.com>, <Chapman-era@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Studs
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 20:46:45 -0600
>I keep breaking wheel studs on my 72 Europa TC.  I just replaced them
again -
>and this weekends auto-x ended after 1 run when I broke 2 on a front wheel
and
>lost the lugs somewhere on the course.   I use standard 5 1/2 Lotus wheels
and I
>torque the lugs to 50lbs.  Anyone have any ideas ?

Yes.  Convert to 1/2" studs and torque 'em to 90.  Works for me.

If you stick with the 3/8" stockers, I think 40 is a better torque.  That's
what I used on my Midget.  Made me nervous on my alloys, though, so I wired
them.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/