Re: Elan +2 as (semi)daily driver?

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Elan +2 as (semi)daily driver?
From: sean murray <snmurray@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 16:58:04 GMT
Hi Tor

At 20:12 05/11/98 +0100, you wrote:

>But is it feasible to use the Elan as a (semi) daily driver when I have to
park it >outside, and with less than good access to a workshop?

I bought my '70 Plus 2 in 1985.  It was in poor condition (non driver) I
used it as a daily driver for 5 years,  over a lot of bumpy roads.  Shortly
after putting it on the road I had to lift the body to repair a crack which
had developed on the left front (nearside!) shock tower where it is attached
to the chassis top flange.  I reinforced this area on both sides with 1/16"
plate gussets.  This has been perfect since.

I also had to straighten the nearside rear top suspension mount lug which
had bent up.  I reinforced the flanges on the lugs on both sides by welding
in 1/16" angle to the top edges.

Two years ago i noticed a crack in the chassis top flange at the nearside
engine mount. I repaired this with a little MIG weld,  and bolted in 6"
lengths of 1//16" x 1"x1" under the flange on both sides.

This Spring I noticed rust coming through at the base of the nearside front
suspension tower (Yes,  I did keep this area dirt free!)  So I took the
plunge and fitted a Spyder chassis.  The Spyder chassis design seems to have
got all the weak spots I have experienced well covered,  engine gearbox
propshaft and diff access is much improved.  overall I am very pleased with it.

Over the 13 years I have owned it,  only once have I failed to get home
(sheared rear donut bolt which then removed the rear brake caliper,
incurred at a "redline" traffic light start!)  Over the last four years we
have done the RAC Euroclassic rally,  about 3,000 miles for us each time,
and had no problems. This included two crossings of the Alps.

Go for it,  life will be dull if you don't !