Re:

To: <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Subject: Re:
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 21:01:20 -0600
From: Erik V. Berg <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>

>> http://www.visi.com/mac/icerace.htm

>> Both cars are in an oversteering attitude
>
>Hmmm?
>
>Well... I don't get that.  To me, the Saab seems to be understeering,
>and the Porsche oversteering.
>
>At the risk of opening yet another can of worms, here is a definition
>of understeering and oversteering that I dimly remember:
>
>Understeering:
>When the grip angle at the front (i.e. the angle between the plane of
>rotation of the front wheels and the velocity vector) exceeds the
>grip angle at the rear (i.e. the angle between the plane of rotation
>of the rear wheels and the velocity vector).
>
>Oversteering:
>When the grip angle at the rear (i.e. the angle between the plane of
>rotation of the rear wheels and the velocity vector) exceeds the grip
>angle at the front (i.e. the angle between the plane of rotation of
>the front wheels and the velocity vector).
>
>According to these definitions, I believe the Saab is understeering,
>and the Porsche is oversteering.
>
>Am I missing something obvious to the contrary?

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.  I had this same discussion with Tim
Roberts here locally.  You are just as correct as he was.

I have always used a different standard.  If the rear tires are tracking
outside of the front tires, the car is oversteering.

Would you guys feel more comfortable if I said that both cars have their
tails hung out?

In any case, if I am going around a left-hand corner, and I am watching
where I am going through the right window, I have a really hard time
describing my attitude as "understeer".

By the way, how the heck did this get onto chapman-era?  Not that I mind,
mind, but it might have confused some of the Chappies to be dropped into the
middle of this thread.  Go to the website at
http://www.visi.com/mac/icerace.htm and you will understand what we are
talking about.

Europa, Quantum Syncro, Suburban
LOON, VTR, TCVWC, MAC