Re: Twin Cam... 1700cc comparison

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Twin Cam... 1700cc comparison
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 21:19:07 -0700
I wrote (regarding the Hasselgren 1700 twink dyno sheet):
>> Dunno exactly what cams and valve sizes were used, tho...

Mike lamented:
> Darn!  I was gonna ask you about cams and valve size!  This fits fairly
> closely the profile of my own motor, outside of slightly smaller
> headers, and being a short deck 1700. Since mine has not been dynoed,
> curiosity runs rampant.....

Mike, I'd forgotten that yours is a short deck, cross flow stroke 1700.
So is mine, in the '65 Elan I just acquired recently.  I have no idea
how much hp mine makes, but it is darn torquey.  My curiosity runs
rampant, too, but before I even think about getting it on a dyno I've
got to sort out some of the quirks of Fred Miranda's fuel injection
system.

Late braking (ummm, sorry couldn't resist, breaking) news:

My Elan just develped a miss tonight.... Aaaakkk!  I'm gonna take it
over to Clay Vyzralek tomorrow, and get a quick leak down check and a
diagnosis.  Hope it is ignition or fuel related (read: cheap!)  I
wouldn't want to end up tearing down the engine for a rebuild, right
now!

Erik  "wish me luck"  Berg