5pseeds in elans....revisited

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 5pseeds in elans....revisited
From: Keith Gustafson <gusmach@shore.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:07:00 -0500
Finally getting a little time to work on the +2, engine at the shop being bored.
I slid the rear housing from the nissan 5 sp[1983 28zx, 3.06 1st gear, .745
5th for those short of memory]. It is very tight in the Spyder chassis, but
would be a bit easier in the stock chassis. The tranny will require some
extensive case mods, but I personally would rather do that than gearing
mods. I think if I chop a bunch off of the bell housing and have an adapter
Tig welded to it, I would save enough length to make it a little roomier.
The great thing about modifying the case is that you should only have to do
it once, since the case very easy to remove from the gears on this style
tranny. At present the only change to the workings of it I should need to
make is to modify the shifter rail to move the shifter forward. I may want
to shorten the input shaft to move the box forward in the chassis for better
clearance, but I would rather not.

Soooo, as it stands it the mods would be something like this:

Have driveshaft made up with nissan snout and lotus rear u joint.

Punch a hole in the top of the case and fabricate a shifter mechanism to
pick up the shifter rail at this point rather than at the rear of the
tranny. Its easier than it sounds, just have to make sure its beefy enough
that it doesn't break off.

Grind off some case protrusions for added clearance

Find a clutch plate that will fit on a stock lotus flywheel,probably off of
a low powered rwd nissan.

Custom starter [Gee, I wonder who could make one of those...]

Adapter plate [unlikely] or modify bell housing [more likely, hack hack hack]

I figure for those of you without enough foresight to own your own machine
shop, it would cost  600 to 1000 USD if you had to pay someone to do it, so
you may want to take  good hard look at your career choices ;)

If I can get the seven together soon, I may leave the +2 apart to try this,
but the +2 is closer to completion and its awfully nice out....

Keith