Dog ring 'box in a road car?

To: "chapman" <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dog ring 'box in a road car?
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 01:51:06 -0800
Has anyone driven a car with a dog ring 'box on the street, for
any significant period of time?  Is it reasonable?

I've never driven a car with a dog ring tranny other than an
early Hewland Mark series.  And I *know* that gearbox would
have been miserable to live with on the road.

But I've heard that (for example) recent Quaife Ford 'boxes
have dog rings designed to be easier to engage when you are at
a dead stop, and that they might not be too bad in a road car.

Opinions?  Ideas?

Regards,
Erik Berg