Re: Sierra Gearboxes and Spaceframes

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sierra Gearboxes and Spaceframes
From: gusmach@shore.net
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:14:37 -0400 (EDT)

  Would CV joints be a good alternative?  Or is this over the
>threshold?  Where can I get them?  Dave Bean has a set, but his requires
>pulling out the diff outboard shaft.

Andres,

It seems a pity to loose suspension travel for U joints. CV joints work
well, I have them on my +2. I have been searching for relative bolt ins, but
havent found any. Many people cut VW shafts and reweld them shorter. The
cv's are cheap and available and a good welding job will hold up fine.You
just have to machine up adapter plates, which are straight forward. At
present that seems the best solution.

The good thing about the Bean kit is that it is a true bolt in. New output
shafts aren't a bad thing. I would definitely talk to someone who has tried
them.
I have lancia scorpion short side axles in my +2. They are about and inch
too short, and keep tearing the boot. The shaft itself is 12". 13" shafts
should be easier to find, I just haven't got around to it. I have in my
collection a really short[I think 10"] shaft which I believe is short side
late 5sp X-1/9. I can't remember off the top of my head the difference in
track between an Elan and +2, but if you took the difference/2 and
subtracted it from 13 inches, that should be a good guess at the shaft
length. Oh, sorry, was that more info than you wanted? Sometimes I get
carried away.........

Keith