Re: T-50 CR gearboxes - more.....

To: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Subject: Re: T-50 CR gearboxes - more.....
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 00:00:27 -0700
Howdy Phil Bradshaw, all.

Phil you wrote:
>From playing with my spreadsheet it appears the TRD CR ratios I have
>(thanks to Matti, Erik etc) in the 1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno T-50 gearbox
>(and my Leitch) are:

Phil, I think you may have quoted an error that I made previously, in
transcribing some of this stuff from my notes.

Phillip Babcock (The _other_ Phil B!) recently called TRD, and confirmed
the following ratios (shown in the second column, the rest seem OK):

> 1st   2.63
> 2nd   1.6        1.891
> 3rd   1.38
> 4th   1.0
> 5th   0.861
Cost of this set was quoted at $1500 US.

> As opposed to the other TRD CR set of:
> 1st   2.54       2.341
> 2nd   1.6
> 3rd   1.2
> 4th   1.0
> 5th   .861       .886
Cost of this set was quoted at $2100 US.

I suppose it is certainly possible that TRD have actually produced
different ratio combinations at different times, but the ones shown above
were just recently verified as being available, with 6-8 week delivery
shipped from Japan.

OK, next it is my turn to ask a question!

Phil you wrote:
> This is based on the Leitch speed in gears and ass-u-me-ing the
> Trueno GT-V has the identical ratios to the Levin GT-V that supplied
> the Leitch gearbox

<light bulb glowing dimly over my head, as this comment sinks in>
Hey, are you saying that both the Trueno Sprinter GT-V and Levin GT-V may
actually have rolled off the showroom floor with the 2.63 1st TRD gear set?
That's pretty darned interesting...  it might open up a much cheaper route
to getting close ratios in a T-50, if those particular gearboxes can be
acquired via the import market...

Do tell us some more about this!

Regards,
Erik Berg