Re: 26R Elan wheels

To: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: 26R Elan wheels
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 20:03:45 -0700
Hi, all.
I asked:
>> Tony, which configuration are the wheels from your 26R?

Tony replied:
>The rears are solid with a four lobe or "star" pattern,  6" rim,
>casting number A26 G 001A and the fronts are the same except with a
>"cut-out" cast between each lobe, 6" rim, casting number A26 G 001A-B.
>They *look* to be the same as on Gil Nickel's car ('95 Monterey photo)
>which was program listed as a 64 26 S1 #019.

Could it be that Gil has upgraded his S1 to S2 wheels...

>My car is a late '65
>production S2 # 21.  The 26R S2 parts book indicates that S2 cars were
>fitted with 5 A26 G 001 pin-drive magnesium knock-ons.  There is an
>amendment to the FIA "Form of Recognition" filing with the Royal
>Automobile Club dated 16 Nov 1964 that pictures and describes what
>appears to be the same set as mine.  The amendment adds these wheels to
>the "Options" and indicates that they are 6" rim width and add 1 1/4"
>track width front and rear.  Can you elaborate on the "early" or "late"
>wheels?

Tony,
I do believe early and late wheels are different by rim width.

I had also thought that early and late wheels were distinguishable
by the open web (cut-out) or closed web (solid) construction, but
apparently it is not that simple, based on your reporting of the
two different styles of 6" wheels on your S2.

An article about Tony Thompson's S1, 26-R-20, in Thoroughbred & Classic
cars, June '85, describes 26R S1 cars as having been delivered with
5-1/2" wide wheels, and S2's as having been delivered with 6" wide
wheels.  Tony Thompson's car, having been upgraded to S2 specs, now
sports 6" open web type wheels, at all four corners.

Pictures of S1's I've seem in books often depict closed web wheels.
Did the 5-1/2" wheels *only* come in the closed web style, or, are
there actually 4 distinct 26R wheel species, i.e.:

closed web, 5-1/2"
open web, 5-1/2"
closed web, 6"
open web, 6"

Is anyone studious enough to call Tony Thompson, and find out?   ;-)

Regards,
Erik Berg

4 rwd, 0 fwd