Re: gearid.gif

To: lotus-cars@lists1.best.com
Subject: Re: gearid.gif
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:58:56 -0700
Ken Ritchie noted:
>> Many of the 23's are running those distinctive  "bubble" mags (no
>> slots, spokes, or holes).

Tony Clark replied:
> Donno about the rest but there are both UK and US sources for
> reproductions of the original wheel fitted to the Lotus 23 and in
> ones choice of aluminum or magnesium.  The usual term for the style
> of wheel is "wobbly-web", not "bubble" and I'm think that I'm correct
> that this was an ACBC design.

Tony, what about other wobblies, such as the ones used on Elites,
and so on?  Are any other sizes being reproduced?

> Others, like the 47's, are running 4-spoke
> "star"  wheels with blacked out centers and shiny beads.

Those are the original 47 wheels, and I have been told (although I
don't know if this is true, for sure) that they are specific to 47s.
They are knock on, peg driven mags.  They go on a k/o hub of a
pattern that is apparently unique to that wheel.

26R's have something similar, again mag and again knock-on.  They
come in two different configurations.  The early ones are sorta
solid like a wobbly, but with linear ribs, and the late ones
look somewhat similar to the 47 wheels.  Their hubs are again
unique, supposedly different from normal Elan k/o hubs.

Tony, which configuration are the wheels from your 26R?

41's have some equally attractive, but different, mags which are
bolt-on.

> The Cobra folks have come up with replica wheels. Anyone
> manufacturing fresh copies of our favorites?

Halibrand are making quite a few of the wheels that were in their
old product line, but I don't know if they ever made any 13 inch
wheels.

John Kouba has had reproductions of the 41 wheels made, in a couple
different sizes.  The foundry he uses, has some other similar
things in their catalog.  They were at SEMA last year. (I think they
might have a wheel for a Brabham formula car) but they can *not* sell
them to you, directly!  The foundry doesn't own the molds.

Michael Sands has some of John's wheels, for his 41.

Tony, or anyone else who might know, has anyone reproduced the 26R
wheels yet?  Maybe Tony Thompson?

Were wobblies ever used on Elans?

Regards,
Erik Berg