Re: rear disc conversion advice

To: "Liam Venter" <liam@lan1.co.nz>
Subject: Re: rear disc conversion advice
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 97 16:48:07 PDT
Hi Liam and co!

> I am currently fitting rear discs to my Ford Escort rear axle.
>
> I have been told that the play in the rear axle bearings will allow
excessive
> run out in the rear discs causing brake pad knock back and a responding
> requirement to pump the brakes before the corners?

Yup - I did this, using 1983 Toyota AE 86 Levin (Corrolla GT RWD) rear
discs, handbrake cables, calipers and mounting plates in my Leitch - on an
Escort rear axle.

Basically I used the standard bearings, but machined the axle flanges to
get them true to get the shimmy out. I used the Toyota caliper mounts but
welded them to the centre of the Escort drum backing plate (machined down
to suit). This packed the caliper out just right, and gave the mount plate
sufficient meat at the bolt holes on the axle flange (the Toyota bearing is
larger diameter so the PCD of the Escort flange is close to the edge).

I put a spacer on the axle between the bearing and the clamping plate to
stop the bearing shuttling back and forward.

As for the pads moving back - I believe Neal Fraser puts shims behind his
pistons to keep the pads closer to the disc...

US Hot Rod magazine reckons that if you have less than 12" height (ie head)
difference between the master cyl and the wheel cyls (think about it- we
are all in this situation) then you need a residual pressure valve - maybe
one of these will fix the problem?

BTW - RWD Toyota rear discs have all about the same offset - say 40 mm -
but FWD rear discs have about 30 mm offset.

As for gearboxes - Sorry - I have no idea on the ratios of Toyota T-50
gearboxes.